356b Brakes question

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
356b Brakes question
« on: December 27, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
The brake drums on Porsche 356B's is very similar in style to the Buick finned drums.  I like the look, and know they're nearly a bolt-on for VWs, but was wondering if they are better brakes than the stock VW drums ?

Red

Re: 356b Brakes question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »
Not an expert here as I've never had enough $$$$$$ to afford experimenting :(  That being said, the Porsche 356
brakes have much wider brake shoes then what most VW's came with.  Back in the '70's, when things where a little
more accessible, they were a popular addition.  Nowadays, there are disc brake kits and other "combos" that offer
great, reliable stopping power for less money.  I'm using a front disc brake kit and Type III rear drums and shoes
(wider)... way less excitement then the old, inch-wide stock '67 stuff my car came with!

bermfinger

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:46:32 PM »
Hi Tom, I will elaborate a bit on Red's response.
  The front brakes will bolt on a 65 & earlier beetle /ghia. They are larger in diameter as well as wider. The fronts also have  2 wheel cylinders, same as  a drum brake bus.  They are a very cool period upgrade. Now for the bad news.... they are very very expensive. Expect about 3-4k to get a set. most of the drums are out of tolerance & all of the service parts are a fortune. And at the end of the day they are still 50+ y.o. drum brakes.  I had a set to put on my car some years back & when I started pricing the wheel cylinders ect. I sent them down the road. I have a similar set up on my car as Red's & it works great. But they do not have that cool finned drum look.  hope this helps,   Bill

Red

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:06:18 AM »
 :o  Here we go... no expenses spared! ;D

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »
Thanks for the info; I appreciate it.  Yes I've seen that they are quite expensive, but didn't realize that the other brake components would put yet another hole in the wallet !