THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
I'll start with this.
What was once fun, Now feels like just another job.

TS3X65MPH

Re: THE CHRISMAN FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
California’s Baddest Hot Rodding Family • The Chrismans
In the early 1950’s, Compton was a Respectable, Sleepy Suburb of L.A. I know, my Aunt Ruth & Uncle Bill lived there in a little white house with roses & a Bird Bath in the backyard.

Art & Lloyd Chrisman lived in Compton, too, and the Chrisman’s Garage turned out some of the Nastiest, most Innovative, Well-Designed -Built, Fast & Feared Hot Rods anywhere.

In 1950 Art & Lloyd had been racing a modified ’32 Ford roadster on the dry lakes like Harper & El Mirage, north of L.A., near Palmdale in the Mojave. Then in 1953 they set their sights on the Salt Flats at Bonneville & built the nastiest Ford coupe they could conjure up. Based on a 1930 ‘A’ Coupe, Art & Lloyd built a very hi-tech for its day-tube frame, dropped in an injected, bored & stroked Flathead V8, running on a 50/50 Nitromethane & Pump Gas mix – behind the driver with a sectioned, lightened chop-top body channelled over the frame, and an ingenious streamlined nose made from 2 ’40 Ford hoods laid top-to-bottom, the Chrisman’s built what could be considered the world’s first Fuel ‘Funny Car’. A design concept basically shared by all Fuel dragsters & Funny Cars racing today, over 50 years later. but no one knew that…yet.

In 1954 the Chrismans returned to Bonneville, with a new Ford V8 in the Coupe, and used its previous engine for the Roadster, now fielding 2 cars on the Salt, and sponsoring a third. It would be 15 years before other Race Teams would have the organization, skill and funding to field 2 and 3-car teams. Today it takes millions of company sponsorship dollars to do so. Sporting a new Super-Flathead V-8, with Ardun ‘Hemi’ heads, the predecessor to all current drag-racing engines, The Baddest Motor Scooter of its Day. With about 285-300 hp available, the Chrisman Coupe was approaching 200 mph on the salt.

In 1955 The Chrisman Boys returned again, this time with a blown Chrysler Hemi, capable of pushing the Coupe well over 200 mph. The Chrismans withdrew from competition after a friend was killed that day in another car. Shortly thereafter the Chrisman Coupe was sold, never to be raced (by Art & Lloyd) again. In 2008, the restored version of this car was sold at auction for over $500,000.00 and is displayed at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, not far from where it was built in the Chrisman’s Garage in Compton, not 5 miles away, 50-plus years before.

Keeping it All in the Family, along came nephew Jack Chrisman, following in his Father’s and Uncle’s footsteps…in the late 50’s, Jack built early innovative race cars for the dragstrip like the ‘SideWinder’ – one of the first with a rear-engine (and sideways-mounted, for balance), preceding the current practice not widely used until 15  years after this car was first built & ran, in 1959. About 5 years later, having earned a reputation as some of the Baddest HotRodders Anywhere, and now getting some albeit, Undercover Financing from the Ford Motor Company, Jack Chrisman stuffed a leftover 427 Big-block Ford engine into a brand-new ’64 Mercury Comet. My Mom drove the innocuous economy car street version. Jack Chrisman unleashed his Monster Comet on the Drag Strip and sanctioning body NHRA didn’t even know what to call it or how to classify it, the Ultimate Sleeper – The World’s First ‘Funny Car’. Chrisman created a spectacular Mind-Blowing Crowd – Pleaser – a California Hot Rod Revolution that would set Drag Racing on its ear, and Detroit scrambling to create cars to emulate that Evil ‘MuscleCar’ Style….The Chrisman Comet Super Cyclone. A Small, Safe-looking Family Car with a 750-horsepower Monster Motor . I saw it when I was 8 years old and, having seen a lot of Hot Rods already at that age, the sight of what looked like Mom’s Car laying down 500 feet of Nitro-burning tire smoke at 160 mph changed my life forever. The Baddest Hot Rod I ever saw.

Art, Lloyd & Jack Chrisman had and would go on to build several other Winning, Feared, and ultimately Legendary Hot Rods and Race Cars over 30 years, some of which now reside in Museums. Not all are shown here – But to me, because of their innovations – and adoption of into a sport known for design, technical innovation and  by nature, always moving forward – These famous Chrisman Dragsters are the most noteworthy.

The Compton, California Chrisman Boys, did first and best, initially without major financial sponsorship what would Evolve into the Multi-Million Dollar Industry that has become Today’s Spectacular Spectator Sport -Nitro-Burning Top Fuel & Funny Car Drag Racing- California Style.
From federicodecalifornia
 Not sure if this is all true.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 06:10:56 PM »
Art Chrisman

Given his many achievements, pinpointing any single reason for Art Chrisman’s induction to the SEMA Hall of Fame is difficult. Yet, for many, it’s unlikely that a single reason is even needed.

Chrisman played such a pivotal role in the hot-rod movement that his list of contributions is legendary. In fact, his story inspired The Chrisman Legacy: Always Faster, a 224-page book by Tom Madigan chronicling the Chrisman family and its indisputable influence on motorsports.

Originally from Sulphur Springs, Arkansas, Chrisman moved to California with his family during the Great Depression, settling in Compton. Working at his father’s Southern California auto shop in the ’50s, Chrisman acquired his family’s passion for car building and eventually met and competed against many of early racing’s biggest names, including Ed Iskenderian, Vic Edelbrock, Wally Parks, Pete Petersen, Mickey Thompson, C.J. Hart and Lou Baney, to mention a few. Along the way, his dedication, sincere work ethic and racing skill attracted a legion of followers. As Tony Thacker, the executive director of the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum, has observed: “Art Chrisman is just one of those heroes that drag-racing fans look up to even if you grew up in another country.”

And with good reason. Fifth to earn a place in the prestigious Bonneville 200 MPH Club, Chrisman’s accomplishments include many notable firsts: First drag racer to hit 140 mph in the quarter-mile. First to exceed 180 mph. First to make a pass at the NHRA’s first national event in 1955 at Great Bend, Kansas. Winner of the first Bakersfield March Meet in 1959. And, as a member of the famous Autolite race team, he also ranks 29th on the NHRA’s roster of top 50 drivers of hot rodding’s first 50 years.

“The first time I recall seeing him race was probably around 1957 or 1958, out at the old Riverside Raceway at a drag race,” said Carl Olson, another former racer, SEMA Hall of Famer and current motorsports manager at the SFI Foundation. “I was extremely impressed by his car and his driving ability. Suffice to say, he was one of my earliest racing heroes.”

Eventually, Olson found himself introduced to Chrisman at the latter’s Autolite sparkplug workshop, and the two became lasting friends. Of all the celebrated personalities deserving of SEMA Hall of Fame recognition, Olson believes that few exemplify the industry’s heart and soul more than Chrisman.

“He’s willing to share information, experience and knowledge with just about anyone who walks up to ask,” he said. “And the cars that he turns out, whether they be race cars or street rods, are just absolutely fabulous. They’ve won every kind of award known to mankind, including Pebble Beach and the Grand National Roadster Show. He’s a masterful engine builder. He’s just the nicest, kindest, most generous, caring individual that I know, along with being an absolute icon in motorsports.”

Olson is not alone in this view. Industry pros universally praise Chrisman’s integrity and gentlemanly demeanor both on and off the track. And the legacy continues: Chrisman and his son Mike now work side by side at Chrisman Auto Rod Specialties, which the elder Chrisman founded after his Autolite years—and where he still serves as mentor, role model and inspiration to hot-rodding’s next generation.
From SEMA.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »
Among Chrisman’s many accomplishments is that he was the first drag racer to exceed 140 and 180 mph. He was also the first to make a pass in NHRA’s first national event in 1955.
From dragracingonline.com 

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
The first annual U.S. Gas and Fuel Championship was contested on March 1, 1959. Garlits wowed the crowd when he ran 178 mph right off the trailer. But, sans a supercharger, his Don's Speed Shop Spl. was no match against more powerful dragsters like the Chrisman Bros. and Frank Cannon. Garlits lost in the first round and Art Chrisman would go on to win the inaugural event with a final round of 9.36-140.50 over Tony Waters and the Waters-Sughrue-Guinn A/FMR. Chrisman also set low e.t. at 8.70 and Gary Cagle ran top speed of the meet at 180.36.

The final between Art Chrisman and Tony Waters at the very first March Meet; Tony had a length or two on Art, but got wiggley-squiggley down track and had to click it.
Don Prieto photo

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
4th Annual U.S. Gas and Fuel Championship in 1962.
Art Chrisman in the Hustler 1 winning one for the West Coast against Bob Sullivan's Pandemonium III.
Brad Kittredge photo

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 06:51:23 PM »
Jack Chrisman
From Wikipedia
Jack Chrisman (May 5, 1928 — August 17, 1989) was an American drag racer. He was a drag racing pioneer and 1961 champion. He was influential in the formation of the Funny Car class, as he introduced the first blown injected nitro-burning Funny Car. The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) ranked Chrisman 23rd on their Top 50 drivers in 2001.

Background
Chrisman was born the youngest of 13 children in Grove, Oklahoma. The family moved to Southern California to escape the Dust Bowl.

Racing career
Chrisman began drag racing in 1953 when he raced a 1929 Model A. He switched to a Chrysler car, continuing to race at Southern California such as Lions, Pomona, San Fernando, Santa Ana, and Saugus. He purchased the Purple Car from Ed Lusinski, and used the car to win drag races at many of these tracks. He started racing Top Fuel for Pat Akins. Masters & Richter flew Chrisman to the Bay area to race in their Top Fuel dragster.

In 1959 he started racing in Chuck Jones Sidewinder dragster. The car, wrenched by Joe Maillard, had its motor mounded sideways. It was shorter than the 100-inch (254 cm)[clarification needed] common at that time. The car consistently recorded 9.0 second elapsed times (e.t.) at 160 miles per hour (260 km/h), which typically defeated local competition.

In late 1960, he moved to Howard Johansen's team. He raced the Howard Cam Twin Bears gas dragster, which featured two side-mounted engines. In 1961, he used the car for the first 8 second run in NHRA national event history, when his 8.99 second pass beat Dick Rea in the Top Eliminator (Top Gas) final at the first Winternationals. That summer he drove to a 8.78 e.t. at Caddo Mills, Texas, which was the lowest e.t. of the year. Chrisman won the 1961 World Championship after winning in national, regional, and divisional meets throughout the United States.

Chrisman changed to Mickey Thompson's team in 1962. The Tommy Ivo-built machine ran on either gas or nitro. Chrisman set new top speed record of 176.60 miles per hour (284.21 km/h) at York, Pennsylvania and a new e.t. record in A/GD (A/Gas Dragster) with an 8.34 second pass. The team debuted a new Pontiac Hemi engine a few weeks before the U.S. Nationals at Indy, and won the Top Eliminator crown.

During a regular afternoon event at Pomona in May 1963, the dragster's rear end broke. Chrisman spent 42 days in the hospital recovering. After he had recovered, he started working advertising for National Dragster. Chrisman intended to drive Thompson's dragster to defend his title at Indianapolis, but Thompson's hauler tipped over while transporting the vehicle to the dragstrip.

Funny Car pioneer
Chrisman was working for the NHRA in late 1963 or early 1964 when Ford's Fran Hernandez gave a Mercury Comet to Chrisman. After Chrisman did not race it, Hernandez asked, "What's going to get you to race that car?" Chrisman responded he wanted a blower to be installed in the car. Chrisman went to a dealer, picked up the racecar, and brought it to Bill Stroppe's shop. The pair and their crew assembled the car. The car was debuted at the 1964 U.S. Nationals with Chrisman doing a burnout to half track. Chrisman toured the eastern half of the United States with the car though the end of the 1965 season. In 1966, he added a flip-up fiberglass body on the car, following a trend started by Don Nicholson and Eddie Schartman. Chrisman won his first race, at the Hot Rod Magazine Championships at Riverside Race, in the Exhibition Stock category. It is generally considered to be the first funny car to exceed 180 mph (290 km/h). The car ran the quarter mile in 8.72 seconds at 184 mph (296 km/h), beating Jungle Jim Liberman in the finals. On July 10, 1966 he set a class record at 188 miles per hour (303 km/h), only to have the engine blow up two weeks later at the Super Stock Magazine Nationals. The car burned to the ground.

Chrisman came back with another Comet to race the rest of the 1966 season through 1970. Chrisman did not race in 1971. He built a "sidewinder" Mustang funny car for 1972, but never raced it. He sold it to Ray Maheu, and the car later became John Force's first ride, Nightstalker.

Chrisman Driveline Components
During that time, he started Chrisman Driveline Components at his hometown Long Beach, California. The company builds car rear ends and driveline components for dragracers. It has supplied components to Kenny Bernstein, Frank Bradley, Darrell Gwynn, Eddie Hill, and Joe Pisano. He continued running the company until his death in 1989.

Jack Chrisman
Drag Racing - Class of 2013

Jack Chrisman was drag racing royalty from the sport's early days through the 1970s, not just for his success behind the wheel but his countless innovations on and off the track. It seems crazy now, but he rose to fame in 1959 behind the wheel of Chuck Jones' rear-engined Sidewinder. The name means exactly what you think it does; the engine was mounted sideways in the chassis, driving the rear wheels via chain. Chrisman came back the next season with a car that would become even better known, the Howards Cams "Twin Bears" dragster. With its two Chevy engines tilted outwards, the one concession to "aerodynamics" was a plywood board in front of the powerplants. Trust us, there was no science involved. It was just a bunch of drag racers doing what they do best – innovating.

Chrisman remained an innovator throughout his life (he passed away in 1989 at 61), and it's for that which he is most remembered. After a severe injury in a front-engine dragster in 1963, he spent almost a year regaining his health. It was then that he became friends with Ford's Fran Hernandez. Hernandez had a keen eye for nascent trends in motorsports, and with Chrysler's introduction of the first altered-wheelbase cars, he knew Ford had to step up or be bypassed. So Hernandez made sure every Ford factory racer had a fuel-injected Comet or Mustang. Chrisman received one of the former but never raced it. When Hernandez asked why, Chrisman said it needed a supercharger to be competitive. Hernandez told him to do what he wanted, but even Ford was stunned in 1966 when Chrisman hit the match-race trail with his now-topless Comet powered by a blown SOHC Ford. It was not only competitive, it was a media magnet, landing on the cover of Bob Petersen's Hot Rod Magazine among many others.

The hugely popular drag racer opened Jack Chrisman Enterprises in Long Beach, California in 1972, the company still operated today by his son, Steve. The list of championship-winning competitors who have relied on Chrisman-built ring and pinions, axles and related rear-end parts is legion, and with good cause. Chrisman brought the same innovation to his aftermarket operation that he'd applied to his racing career, and it paid off not only in sales, but the list of those who refused to race with anything but Chrisman-built parts.

Another measure of Chrisman's legacy came in 2001 when the NHRA compiled its list of the Top 50 Drag Racers of all time. Chrisman was #23. He may not have won dozens of races with "Nationals" in the titles, but he won hundreds of match races and thousands of fans for a sport he helped grow. And when you see some of today's champions making record-setting runs, in a lot of instances a part of Jack Chrisman is along for the ride in the form of the cutting-edge components he engineered.

by Jon Asher

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
Sidewinder dragster driven by Jack Chrisman.Chain driven. The blown 392-inch Chrysler hemi was rated at 550 hp on gasoline.
This was a killer car for a couple of years.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
Magwinder driven by Jack Chrisman.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »
The Chrisman Roadster & Coupe in the Background, Bonneville.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »
Chrisman HRM Oct 1954.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
Jack Chrisman's sedan.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 01:05:07 PM »
Jack Chrisman's sedan.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
Jack Chrisman's sedan.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 01:10:38 PM »
Art (sunglasses), Lou Baney (straw hat), engine builder Ed “The Old Master” Pink.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »
Art Chrisman.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 01:25:03 PM »
COVER OF HOT ROD FEB. 1954.

Striper

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 01:01:10 AM »
I've been fortunate to have met both Art and Mike Chrisman over 20 years ago , and have been good friends and lunch buddies ever since . Two of the best in the business , and a huge help in building my roadster . Too listen to Art tell stories of his life in racing is truly one of life's better moments .
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 08:46:48 PM »
I've been fortunate to have met both Art and Mike Chrisman over 20 years ago , and have been good friends and lunch buddies ever since . Two of the best in the business , and a huge help in building my roadster . Too listen to Art tell stories of his life in racing is truly one of life's better moments .
Art's Dragsters.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »
Art.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:12 PM »
Jack Chrisman in a later Sidewinder racing Chrisman and Cannon Hustler II.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
Motor Trend November 1964.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
Motor Trend September 1962.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:24 PM »
Jack Chrisman in Mickey Thompson's hemi Pontiac at the Nationals.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
Chuck Jones' Sidewinder driven by Jack Chrisman Santa Ana CA 1959.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
Art's.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »
From Hot Rod
Jack Chrisman's Funny Car Revolution Evolution
Written by Thom Taylor on April 3, 2015

You can see the embryonic beginnings of the fast and crazy Funny Car class of drag racing from a single owner/driver, one Jack Chrisman. His early Super Stock Mercury Comets morphed very quickly into what became the Funny Car template. Though not done in a vacuum, by following the gestation of his cars you can see why and how the Funny Car came into being. Follow along this quick tutorial as we dive back into those hazy, crazy days of screaming door slammers.

Chrisman’s first shot across the bow of the Super Stock class of NHRA, AHRA and IHRA drag racing was his 1964 Comet. The Super Stock class was going berserk, and Mercury was right in the middle of it thanks to Mercury’s Fran Hernandez and Al Turner. With parent company Ford developing their Thunderbolt 1964 Fairlanes, Mercury was in lock step with their own Factory Experimental Comets, featuring either a 289ci small block [B/FX-class] or 427ci big block [A/FX-class]. Fiberglass doors, hoods and bumpers kept the weight down, and Chrisman was one of the lucky recipients.

But Chrisman was not reticent about why he wouldn’t run the Comet. He wanted to supercharge the 427, and the NHRA forbade superchargers and nitro. He also disliked the 4-speed. So for the first half of the 1964 season Chrisman’s Comet sat. But once he got the green light from Hernandez to do what he wished to the car, Chrisman debuted it at the US Nationals with a blown motor with a direct drive unit attached, smoking the tires the entire length of the quarter mile with elapsed times in the 10.20s at almost 160mph.

He continued to campaign the Comet throughout the Midwest and east coast in exhibition and match race contests for the rest of the year. At the end of 1964 Chrisman updated the Comet with 1965 fiberglass painted candy red, but more importantly he took the evolution of the A/FX car further by pushing the engine back 25- percent in the chassis, and replacing the 427 FE engine with the new 427 SOHC overhead cam engine.

At the NHRA Nationals in 1965, the Comet ran in the Fuel Dragster class along with other stock-bodied new cars running blown, nitro engines and in many cases altered wheelbases for extra weight out the back for better traction. NHRA could see the popularity of these “experimental” cars; they just had a hard time finding a class to put them into.

You can see that by 1965 the Comet, though production-based, was very far removed from a production car. And with the engine setback it must have been a chore to work on, as it sat right where a firewall used to be, so essentially half of the engine was behind the windshield, and half ahead of it. This would all change for 1966.

In this guise the Comet ran 9.60s and 9.70s at over 165mph. Again this was mainly in the match race and exhibition circuit. Still, the car was a huge draw with drag racing fans.

Mercury sourced four 1966 Comet Caliente’s to be built at local Detroit chassis builders Logghe brothers. Working out of the corner of their Logghe Stamping facility, they had been building dragsters for a few years. Mercury asked them to develop a Funny Car chassis for a fiberglass flip-top body, to aid in weight reduction, driver protection, and ease of access to the entire chassis. The perimeter tube chassis they developed became the archetype for all Funny Cars for years to come.

But again, Chrisman deviated from the other three Comet Funny Cars that went to Fast Eddie Schartman, Dyno Don Nicholson, and the Kenz and Leslie team out of Denver.

Chrisman whacked the top off of his Comet, making for a streamlined roadster that was also lighter by eliminating its lid.

With an 86-percent win rate over the course of the season, it had to end somehow, and it did at the 1966 Super Stock Nationals at New York National Speedway, where its chute failed to open, launching the Comet through the traps on fire. Chrisman escaped injury, but it has been said that Mercury officials asked the fire crew not to put out the fire. They didn’t like the loss of identity Chrisman’s Comet had from slicing the top.

For 1967 Chrisman received a new Logghe Funny Car weighing only 1620 lbs. Within one year the engine and driver locations have been set back even further in the chassis than previous Logghe chassis, and the engine is also sitting lower in the frame. The 1800hp SOHC was hooked to a modified C-6 automatic transmission spinning a narrowed Ford 9-inch rear end. Speeds were over 190mph with times in the 7.67-second range.

Chrisman raced this car for a number of years, replacing the Comet body with a Mustang in 1969, and continuing to race it with the SOHC until 1971, when he began to develop his sidewinder Mustang, which landed on HOT ROD’s November 1971 cover but was never raced by Chrisman. It became John Force’s first Funny Car called “Night Stalker.”

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »
The White one.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
 The White one.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »
The White one.

Striper

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 12:39:55 AM »
 A Saturday morning a few years ago at the shop .

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 01:30:41 AM »
A pair.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »
'The Bad Ass'.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 01:49:00 AM »
'The Bad Ass'.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »
'The Bad Ass'.

An appropriate name !   Wow !

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
'The Bad Ass'.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
Another "Bad Ass'.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
Another "Bad Ass'.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 01:48:57 PM »
Another "Bad Ass'.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 07:25:15 PM »
A Few More.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
Art Chrisman passed away today. He was 86.RiP Art.Condolences to his family & friend's.

Fordors

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »
Art Chrisman, like his uncle Jack who died before him,was one of those stand-out hot rodders who have accomplished so much in their lifetimes. His legacy will live on in Chrisman Auto Rod Specialties, the shop he started with his son Mike. Godspeed Art.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

DavyJ

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »
God speed..............another icon to joins the rodding community upstairs............... I have always been impressed and awed by the ingenuity and talent of the early speed racers..........
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

29bowtie

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
What a great loss to the sport/hobby, his legacy however will live on. R.I.P. 
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

Striper

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2016, 12:43:15 AM »
 I've been fortunate to have had Art ( along with his son Mike and friend Roy Fjastad ) as a lunch buddy for the last 20+ years . Along with being a man's man , a racers' racer and an accomplished craftsman , He was a devoted husband , great father and loving grandfather . I will miss the man with the great smile and infectious laugh who always had a good word and a helping hand , but I will always remember his humble and gracious demeanor . RIP  my friend .

duaneshotrods

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »
Godspeed Art.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

jnaki

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2016, 11:37:10 AM »
hello,
     as a young teenager, i could not have been more impressed with the art chrisman hustler.  it was superbly crafted and it sounded outstanding.  chrisman family, sorry for your loss.  this is what i remember best about the day at the drags back in 1958 at riverside raceway.
thanks,
jnaki

jnaki

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2016, 05:07:25 PM »
Hello,
     Here are all of the races that I was able to film Art Chrisman and the Hustler racing. That fed was very impressive.  As a teenager, it left a lasting impression on that era brain...The Finale...
Jnaki

duaneshotrods

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
Thanks, that is very cool!
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2016, 01:14:18 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2016, 01:15:04 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2016, 01:15:46 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 01:16:35 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2016, 01:19:15 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2016, 01:20:38 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2016, 01:21:52 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2016, 01:23:36 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2016, 01:24:37 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2016, 01:26:10 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2016, 01:27:11 AM »
THE CHRISMAN FAMILY

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2016, 01:31:45 AM »
When Barris got his hands on it.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2016, 01:34:31 AM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2016, 01:38:46 AM »
JACK CHRISMAN

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2016, 01:42:43 AM »
Jack Christman's Comet during build.

lurker mick

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
Does anyone have any info on this coupe that Art & Jack are looking at?

Mick

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »
Does anyone have any info on this coupe that Art & Jack are looking at?

Mick
Mick,
 That's there famous coupe.Had a flathead.

lurker mick

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »
Beppie, you're right, that is their Model A. There was a 34 coupe built back then with the same 2 40 Ford hood
front. I mistakenly thought this was that car.

Mick

Striper

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2016, 11:44:46 PM »

Art told me the story of restoring the Barris rendition back to the original version  one day , and to say the least he didn't have anything good to say about George Barris .

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »
A few more.

jnaki

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
Hello,
     Jack Chrisman drove a number of unusual cars.  Here he is driving Ed Losinski's silver body FED at Lions.  He made a lot of wins look easy.  The one racing against the motorcycle is just classic, watch and see what he does...
Jack Chrisman driving Ed Losinski's FED
Thanks,
Jnaki

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
A few more.

jnaki

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2016, 07:57:16 AM »
Hello,
     Another part of the Chrisman family was Jack Chrisman.  The aluminum body dragster stood out from all of the others during this time period, from 1959 to 60.  The chain drive, Sidewinder was one of the first ones to use the set up for drag racing.  They were very successful with plenty of wins at Lions during this time.  Joe Maillard, Paul Nicolini, Chuck Jones, plus others had a hand in this unusual dragster.  They were the hit of the day when they ran at Lions.  Being Long Beach, CA locals, we were able to be there to record a little bit of history each time they ran.
     In 1960, the top races of the day were the Alberston Olds FED with LeonardHharris at the helm vs Jack Chrisman in the Sidewinder.  Win some, lose some...they were outstanding races...something to remember...
Jnaki

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »
Thanks for the history, jnaki !

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2016, 12:06:19 PM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »
Chrisman's

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
Art Chrisman
I was lucky to have meet the Man thru a good friend of mine.
1 of the nice guy's.

Striper

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2017, 11:45:21 PM »
 That man NEVER took a bad photo . RIP

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2017, 12:36:37 AM »
First HotRod-Meet Riverside
Art Chrisman ,Lou Baney & Ed Pink. Photo Credit Greg Sharp

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »
Another of 25.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2017, 11:19:38 PM »
Art in Beast-III.