DKP 50th Anniversary !

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
DKP 50th Anniversary !
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:31:07 PM »
Congrats to Red and his fellow DKP members, hitting the 50th Anniversary milestone !   I read the article in Sept Hot VWs.   And isn't that your car on the cover ?  Very cool.

Red

Re: DKP 50th Anniversary !
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:13:48 AM »
Thanks, Tom!  Fifty years of good friends and memorable times I'll not soon forget.  Pics from the reunion can
be found here:   http://hotrodcraft.com/index.php?topic=931.0   as well as the club's website.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:22:59 AM »
Thanks, Tom!  Fifty years of good friends and memorable times I'll not soon forget.  Pics from the reunion can
be found here:   http://hotrodcraft.com/index.php?topic=931.0   as well as the club's website.
Very cool Red.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

DavyJ

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:24:07 PM »
Awesome! Congrats to the club! 50 years is quite a milestone!
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

Red

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 03:54:44 PM »
Thought I'd add a little more to this thread.  The original club ran from 1965-1973; eight years that seemed like an eternity as we met for meetings (Sunday)
as well as club activities (Saturday) EVERY week!  Our club house was a rented space at the old Pickwick Hotel in downtown Anaheim; the scene was roasted
tires, cold beverage consumption and lots of talk about who-did-what to their cars.  Our premise has always been clean, FAST VW's.  One guy who thought
way outside the box back then was Greg Aronson.  Greg had Becker's Bug House shave all the chrome, relocate the front turn signals and paint his car
bright white before adding a nice stroker motor and close-ratio trans.  His ideas became what Cal Look is today.  Greg eventually sold the car to Jim Holmes
who appeared with it on the cover of the initial Cal Look edition of Hot VW's magazine in 1975; a hard to find collectors item!  The story doesn't end there
though... Scott Bakken re-created the car to the smallest of details then went out and raced it like he stole it.  My picture of the car was taken at our 45th
reunion held at the Schley Bros museum.  It's Scott's recreation; with Greg on the left and Jim on the right.  That's Notcho Libre hawking the mag. :)

Red

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
After the first incarnation of the club, members got into other things... notably dirt bikes, sand rails and Porsches though a few kept their bugs.
A second group formed that I wasn't a part of.  The focus remained the same though; clean, fast cars.  Fun to think of how many 48IDA Weber
carbs made their way through the club over the years; everyone had them!  I sold my '63 bug and bought a new '73 Datsun pick-up along with
a '71 Yamaha 360MX and went dirt biking before moving on to sandrails.  Always a VW in the garage but never a Porsche :(  The Datsun ended
up stolen one day which put me in position to buy our current '67 Bug off a used car lot.  My wife and I drove it everywhere before finally restoring
it in 1989.  We drove it to the VW Classic in 1999 and were amazed to see DKP III stickers on about eight cars; who knew??  A third edition of DKP
began in 1990 and has been the glue that has held this club together and made it what it is today; the BEST!