JUST ROAD RACE CARS

jaded iconoclast

Re: JUST ROAD RACE CARS
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
I have a soft spot for these late sixties 2002's, always liked their looks, and they were very competitive race cars.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »
Really nice little early sixties 1600 sprint coupe

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
Ignore the two goofy looking dudes standing in front of the D-type. I don't look like that anymore anyway, my wife made me shave off the Joey Silveira 'stache before she would marry me. :'(

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
Lotus 11.I really like these mid-fifties small cc sports racing cars, its hard to believe just how tiny a Lotus 11 or Lola Mk1 is till you stand beside one.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
At first I thought this Formula Jr was a Stanguellini, but not so sure now. Maybe an Elva?

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
Fiat Abarths. I was talking about these on another thread. The "Monty Python" of vintage road race cars. Pretty competitive in their classes at the time too.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »
Aston Martin "Ulster"

Lagonda, think its a 4.5L M45? 1930s british "musclecar". ;)

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2017, 07:17:32 PM »
If you were around the Road-Race scene in the sixties, the Lotus 23B was an icon, and regularly punched way above its weight. One of the greatest race cars of all time, and the best of Colin Chapmans cars, IMO. These cars gave the Cobras and Cheetahs fits, even with the little 1.6L Cosworth. Local legend Bob McLean, really tore 'em up in one of these, I witnessed him lap the field in a Pacific Players race one year, against V8 powered USRRC cars. He was later killed testing in a Shelby team GT-40. :'(

Elva BMW, I think?

I have another envelope of pics from these events somewhere, but I have to find them.

29bowtie

« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:17 AM »
Tough looking Corvette.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
I have another envelope of pics from these events somewhere, but I have to find them.

If you keep this up I'll need to make a board for sports cars !  I had a '61 A-H Sprite, '70 Midget, and a '73 MGB at one time, but only the Sprite was modified (cut front coils, 1275cc, later trans, front discs, no bumpers).

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »

If you keep this up I'll need to make a board for sports cars !  I had a '61 A-H Sprite, '70 Midget, and a '73 MGB at one time, but only the Sprite was modified (cut front coils, 1275cc, later trans, front discs, no bumpers).
The other envelope has some pics of the black Bobsy beside the Elva in the pic above, and some pics of a McKee, including close ups of the transaxle, which was an interesting piece.

DavyJ

« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:44 PM »
You guys have the best pics!  Brings back a lot of memories......  The first engine I got to rebuild during my apprenticeship was a 57 Jag drophead coupe...........sports cars always meant a lot...
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

29bowtie

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »
You guys have the best pics!  Brings back a lot of memories......  The first engine I got to rebuild during my apprenticeship was a 57 Jag drophead coupe...........sports cars always meant a lot...
My first engine was a Datsun 1200 (Austin copy) that I hopped up with a BIG cam and Weber side draft card. Buzzed that thing 8000 rpm on a regular basis for a few years, which it lived through well! I was always proud of that. :)
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »
Found some more of the photos. If you were part of the sixties road race scene, you will have seen Bobsys race and win many times. Great little sports racers built by Jerry Mong of Ohio, generally ran motors in the 1000-1600 cc range in C or D Sports Racer, or F or G Modified, very successful and good looking classic sixties mid-engine Sports Racing car.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »