BOB GLIDDEN'S RACE CARS

jaded iconoclast

Re: BOB GLIDDEN'S RACE CARS
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2017, 12:07:38 PM »
Jaded, you could be right (I have been wrong before) but the first one's I saw were on Glidden's car and then later on the Roush "Taxi".
 Beppie, please don't start a Pink/Black thing, I'm not getting any work done in my shop now.  Jim
I honestly dont know who was first with the port plates myself. I do know Roush raised the exhaust ports in their Pro-Stock Boss 429 in 1970, that makes me think he may have done the same thing to the Cleveland right from the start, as the OEM exhaust port in the Cleveland is worse than the shotgun. I will do a little research today, and see if I can figure out when G&R first used them. I already found one underhood shot of the first G&R Pinto, but its too small and grainy, I cant tell. I wont even talk to guys that are into ford/chevy/mopar religion, I don't deal well with dogmatic reasoning. ;)
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Jaded, you could be right (I have been wrong before) but the first one's I saw were on Glidden's car and then later on the Roush "Taxi".
 Beppie, please don't start a Pink/Black thing, I'm not getting any work done in my shop now.  Jim
I honestly dont know who was first with the port plates myself. I do know Roush raised the exhaust ports in their Pro-Stock Boss 429 in 1970, that makes me think he may have done the same thing to the Cleveland right from the start, as the OEM exhaust port in the Cleveland is worse than the shotgun. I will do a little research today, and see if I can figure out when G&R first used them. I already found one underhood shot of the first G&R Pinto, but its too small and grainy, I cant tell. I wont even talk to guys that are into ford/chevy/mopar religion, I don't deal well with dogmatic reasoning. ;)

FWIW. This may be pertinent. Looks like Ford was there first, and Jack was at least "in the loop" when Ford was doing it, so it sounds like he would have at least been exposed to it in the very early days of Cleveland/Boss 302 development in 1967/68, even if he wasn't directly involved. I will keep digging, and see if I can find a good engine shot of the G&R '73 Pinto motor.
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=56787.0
GT350HR is known to me from other forums, he works with one of the piston manufacturers, seems knowledgeable and well-connected and passes my personal smell test, but again, take that FWIW.

5windowjim

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »
 Thanks Jaded, like you said that Randy seems to have a lot of great connections and knowledge. So, if I read that correctly it looks like Smoky Unik might have been the first to raise the exhaust ports (no surprise there) just not for a drag racing application.
 Like he said "what a great time to be working in r&d anywhere".
 Even without trying ya just learn something every day.  Jim

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
Thanks Jaded, like you said that Randy seems to have a lot of great connections and knowledge. So, if I read that correctly it looks like Smoky Unik might have been the first to raise the exhaust ports (no surprise there) just not for a drag racing application.
 Like he said "what a great time to be working in r&d anywhere".
 Even without trying ya just learn something every day.  Jim
I had a really good conversation with Randy about exhaust valve timing/lift on another forum, hes a cool guy to go back and forth with. One of the few genuine "been der, done dat" guys regularly posting on forums outside Speedtalk.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
Maybe this will help.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »
Maybe this will help.
Whats that motor out of, '73 G&R pinto?

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »
Maybe this will help.
It's with all my Roush pic's.Doesn't have a dry stump system.So I would think this is a early set up.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
Maybe this will help.
It's with all my Roush pic's.Doesn't have a dry stump system.So I would think this is a early set up.

The 4150's point in that direction as well, although I would have expected 660's instead of sideways double pumpers if its an early one. At first I thought it might be one of Bill Coons MP motors, but then I noticed the motor plate.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »
Maybe this will help.

The 4150's point in that direction as well, although I would have expected 660's instead of sideways double pumpers if its an early one. At first I thought it might be one of Bill Coons MP motors, but then I noticed the motor plate.

'73 G&R pinto motor, sideways double pumpers instead of 660s, and you can JUST see the corner of the port plate. I think I'm gonna call this "case closed". I think your photo is early G&R, and G&R got there before Glidden, unless someone comes up with a pic of Glidden with port plates in '73, which is entirely possible. ;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2017, 01:30:41 AM »
Glidden's other Fairmont.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2017, 01:32:51 AM »
Bob,Etta & the boys.

BobT

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »
Larry Morgan raced a NHRA Ford Pro Stock until 3 years ago. Larry did very well considering he had little or no support from Ford and sponsorship was difficult to get. Robert Patrick and Charlie Westcott Jr. also ran Fords in NHRA pro stock in the last few years. For whatever reason Ford has decided not to have any real involvement in drag racing instead focusing on NASCAR where their efforts seem to be paying off. Its a shame because nothing but chevs and one Mopar is slowly helping to kill the class. When IHRA was still running their Mountain motor Pro Stock class Ford did very well. Not only were they a pleasure to watch [6.20s 224 m.p.h.] but their were competitive Fords, Chevs and Mopars. Exactly what pro Stock should be.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
Glidden’s 1978 Ford Fairmont

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2017, 05:47:19 PM »
Glidden's Plymouth Arrow Pro Stock

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2017, 05:49:18 PM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »